Wow, where has the year gone? It seems like only yesterday we were starting 2018! I’m sure you all had high hopes and wishes for 2018 – perhaps even new year’s resolutions. Whether you were able to keep your resolutions, I hope 2018 has been good to you, and you’ve had great success with your construction or field service business.
The end of the year is always hectic. Of course, there are parties, and the presents, and don’t forget the holiday meals. But as a local business owner and operator, there’s also so much to get done, with less working days to do it! Maybe December should be longer – 35 days instead of 31.
Well, as a quick reminder – here are a dozen things you should consider as we wrap up 2018.
- Ensure you’ve claimed and invoiced your clients for all the work that’s completed. There are always additional bills and wages to pay at the end of the year so it’s essential that your company is paid for all work completed.
- Make sure all the work on your project that must be finished is completed. Ensure that projects needing completion before the end of the year are ready for your client.
- Pay all your accounts. It’s easy to overlook the utility bills.
- Check that all your tax affairs are in order and that you’ve filed and claimed deductions you’re entitled to claim before the year end.
- If your project will be closed for the festive season check that the project site will be secure. Remember to advise clients, suppliers, and subcontractors of when your projects will be closed.
- Check when suppliers and subcontractors will return in the new year. If your project is starting before some suppliers open then ensure that there’s sufficient stock to get the project through to when they start. You may need to place orders now for the first deliveries in the new year.
- Send out greeting cards. Christmas and the New Year is a good opportunity to send a greeting card to old clients – it’s an opportunity to stay in touch. Try and personalize the cards and not just send a standardized message.
- Ensure that all employees will be paid and that everyone who is entitled to a bonus will receive a fair bonus.
- Don’t forget the festive cheer. In the rush and melee of the holiday season, it’s easy to forget that December and New Year’s should be a happy occasion.
- Ensure all your employees will have the opportunity to spend time with their families over the holidays. Consider closing the office and projects early to allow everyone to get home safely. Inform all employees of the official closing and restart times.
- Spend time with your family. Plan to leave your work outside your home and family life over the festive season.
- Remember to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday.
Thank you for all your support in 2018. Happy holidays and may 2019 bring you and your company success.
ClockShark is the #1 time tracking and scheduling app for construction and field service companies! To learn more check out the video below. To get a free 14-day trial visit www.clockshark.com