We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks.
Adopting technology in the construction and field service space has become a necessity to stay competitive in these fields. It allows for better communication amongst all stakeholders, better project management, more accountability, and greater accuracy, among other things.
When it comes to technology, it is crucial to research the best apps for construction, before deciding on the ones that will work best for your organization.
A report released by Oxford Economics entitled the Future of Construction found growth in the construction sector will be faster than manufacturing or services. Specifically, they expect growth to exceed 42% or $4.5 trillion between 2020 and 2030.
With the new Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill, it has become more important than ever for construction firms to evaluate their current technology and start adopting the necessary technological tools to succeed.
We’ve done the legwork for you, to determine the best apps for construction jobs that you can start using today, to improve efficiency, make running your business easier, and help you stay profitable.
12 Best Construction Apps in 2022
1. Best construction app for time tracking: ClockShark
ClockShark is the best mobile time-tracking app for construction and trades for small and midsize businesses. With ClockShark, employees can track their time from their phones directly to individual jobs. Supervisors can review and approve time before importing hours into a payroll software and see alerts on employees’ timesheets if they ever make an edit. It is an easy-to-use app for construction workers and it tracks overtime and time off rules, keeps records for years, and keeps payroll separate from timekeeping.
Turn employees’ smartphones into paperless timesheets
Let multiple employees clock in and out from a single mobile device
See where employees are when clocked in
View a “breadcrumb” trail of every site visited by employees throughout the workday
Dispatch the nearest employees to job sites
Remind employees to clock in and out with email alerts and push notifications
Record and retain a transparent proof of work for every job
Update schedules and notify employees instantly
Give employees access to job details inside their schedule
Get more accurate job costing
- Free 14-day trial
- Basic - $3 per month per user, plus $20 monthly base fee
- Standard - $6 per month per user, plus $30 per month base fee
- Pro - $8 per month per user, plus $50 per month base fee
2. Best app for floor plans: magicplan
magicplan allows you to create and share floor plans in 2D or 3D, field reports, and estimates. magicplan is a helpful construction application that integrates with your existing workflows to help streamline processes. It also ensures the accuracy of project process and completion.
Client disputes are also more easily handled with all details and dimensions stored and organized, so you can access them easily, to provide proof of the project.
Measure and sketch interior plans in 2D and 3D
Add photos, 360° images, notes, custom forms, and markups to create reports
Automatically calculate pricing on your mobile device
- Free Plan: up to two projects
- Sketch Plan: $9.99 per month
- Report Plan: $29.99 per month
- Estimate Plan: $89.99 per month
3. Best for project management: Autodesk Build (formerly PlanGrid)
Font: Autodesk Build
With Autodesk Build, you can monitor and manage your projects from anywhere, making it a very useful app in construction. You can use Autodesk Build to improve coordination between teams and stakeholders and track each step of your projects, from RFIs to completion.
Autodesk Build has a unique feature that helps centralize meeting minutes so everyone has access to the essential information for any project. This cuts down on confusion and increases productivity.
You can track the progress of each project whether offline or online and share data, files, and photos with anyone out in the field. This construction app is ideal for any size construction firm, from small to enterprise.
Real-time project tracking
Easily manage RFIs, issues, and change orders
Create and manage submittals
Stay coordinated with centralized meetings
- Free 30-day trial
- Small project and team collaboration - $470 per year and $39 per month
- Flexible collaboration for multiple projects - $830 per year and $69 per month
- Unlimited collaboration - $1,550 per year and $129 per month
- Enterprise - contact their sales department
4. Best for tracking gas price: GasBuddy
Gas prices fluctuate and impact everyone’s bottom line. With GasBuddy, contractors not only need access to the least expensive gas prices, but tools to help them cut down on their fuel bills. That’s where GasBuddy becomes a uniquely useful app for construction.
GasBuddy helps search for the lowest fuel rate in any state plus, with their Pay With GasBuddy free debit card, you will save up to $0.25 per gallon of fuel you purchase. The debit card is linked to your savings account and, when you use the card at the pump and enter your Driver ID, within one to three business days, the discounted gas price will be withdrawn from that account.
The Pay With GasBuddy debit card is accepted at 95% of gas outlets and millions of users use it.
Find cheapest gas locations
Earn cash back on gasoline purchases
Use GasBuddy’s debit card to save on gas purchases
- GasBuddy Free - Save up to $0.25 per gallon each time you use the free card
- GasBuddy Plus - Save up to $0.40 per gallon, $7.99 billed monthly for a 12-month term, or $89 for a year
- GasBuddy Premium - Save up to $0.40 per gallon plus roadside assistance, $9.99 billed monthly for a 12-month term, or $99 for a year
5. Best for interior and exterior visual data: DroneDeploy
Drones have become an instrumental part of running a successful construction project, with construction apps that make them even more useful. They provide accurate information about your project and jobsite, from surveying and monitoring to safety inspections.
DroneDeploy integrates with select construction industry drones, to bring you fast, accurate, and clear images of your onsite projects.
You can use DroneDeploy to receive real-time images and receive 360 walkthroughs to help ensure safety and monitor progress.
Create maps, 3D models, panoramas, and videos with autonomous drones
Walk job sites and capture continuous 360 footage
Generate maps in real-time with Live Map
Work from the ground or the air
Map 200 acres in 15 minutes
Examine crops with Plant Health Live Map
Visualize temperature range variability for thermal maps
- Free 14-day trial
- Lite - $149 per month or $99 billed annually
- Individual - $449 per month or $299 billed annually
- Teams - Contact them for price
- Enterprise - Contact them for price
6. Best for project bidding: SmartBid
Prior to bidding, contractors have to reach out and get bids from subs to create an accurate bid for their commercial, residential, or industrial projects. SmartBid is a time-saving construction app that simplifies the process of receiving bids from your subcontractors, by allowing you to send invitations to bid and easily share project documents and data.
SmartBid also makes selecting the most qualified subcontractors easier, with their prequalification features and connection to their Contact Database.
Send Invitations to subs for their bids
Share project documents
Organize and manage subcontractor details
Contact SmartBid for detailed pricing information.
7. Best for safety: Safety Meeting App
Font: Safety Meeting App
Safety is critical in construction and, with thousands of construction-related deaths and injuries each year, businesses need to be prudent about safety on the jobsite.
Safety Meeting App helps you stay compliant with a feature-packed app that helps you share safety meeting notes, create custom safety checklists, and cover more than 1,1-00 OSHA safety topics. It’s a user-friendly app for construction workers that helps keep important and accurate safety data.
With Safety Meeting App you can document required OSHA safety meetings, so you never have to worry about non-compliance again.
More than 1100 safety meeting topics to draw from
Spanish & English Topics
Access From Your Phone, Tablet or Computer
Document Meetings, Incidents, Accidents, Near Misses
Store Active/Inactive Employee Data
Assign meetings for Users
Take Pictures of Meeting Attendees, Incidents & Accidents
- Free 15-day trial
- Single user - $199 per year or $338 for two years
- 5 User - $279 or $474 for two years
- 10 User - $349 or $593 for two years
- 20 User - $429 or $729 for two years
- 35 User - $579 or $984 for two years
- 50 User - $739 or $1,256 for two years
- 75 User - $849 or $1,443 for two years
- 100 User - $$969 or $1,647 for two years
- 150 User - $1,169 or $1,987 for two years
8. Best for BIM: Revit® BIM
Font: Revit® BIM
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a powerful technology that speeds up and streamlines the processes of building and design. Revit® BIM software allows you to design, track, visualize, and share projects around architecture, engineering, and construction.
It is a construction app designed for mid- to large-size organizations looking to improve communication and collaboration, and keep all teams - from architects and engineers to field crews - connected and informed.
Revit® BIM software makes it easier to change and redefine designs - including 3D - and share them with project stakeholders to keep everyone on the same page.
Specialized tools and automation for every AEC discipline
Cloud worksharing and Autodesk BIM Collaborate Pro, keeps your teams in sync and your projects on track
Broad range of CAD and BIM tools
Save, sync, and share model-based BIM and CAD data in Revit and connect multidisciplinary teams and workflows
Develop and deploy standards, workflows, and content
Built-in automation for documenting design and managing deliverables
- Free 30-day trial
- $320 monthly
- $2,545 annually
- $7,255 for three years
- Flex (Revit cost: 10 tokens/day)
- 100 tokens: $300
- 500 tokens: $1,500
- 1,000 tokens: $3,000
- 5,000 tokens: $14,625
9. Best for site inspection: iAuditor
iAuditor from SafetyCulture helps you connect field crews with everyone in the organization to be proactive in preventing accidents and injuries. Workers can perform quick digital inspections via their iOS or Android devices, and receive reminders about procedures that must be done.
This app helps you identify potential hazards before they happen, and makes reporting issues easier for your crews. It is an ideal construction app for any sizecompany.
Inspection reminders for team members
Identify issues before they happen
Monitor work conditions in real-time
Set alerts for local weather
- Free 30-day trial
- Free Plan: $0 per user, per month (for small teams looking to go digital with their inspections)
- Premium Plan: $24 per user, per month (for growing teams looking to take their operations to the next level)
- Enterprise Plan: get in touch for a quote (or businesses of scale looking for a personalized touch)
10. Best for accounting: Sage 100 Contractor
Font: Sage 100 Contractor
Sage 100 Contractor is a specially designed app for construction and is suited for small- and mid-sized companies. With this program, your accounting is automated, accurate, and easier. With Sage Contractor 100, you get:
- Customized invoices - You can create, send, and track invoices automatically so you’re always aware of where your cashflow stands.
- Accept payments online - Include a “Pay Now” button on your invoices, so customers can pay you directly through Stripe..
- Save receipts - AutoEntry lets you snap photos of receipts and connect to your bank account so you can more easily track your expenses.
- Customized Dashboards - You can stay on top of what’s happening, from projects to expenses to your accounts, by customizing the things that matter most to you to view from your dashboard.
Not having to use manual entry cuts down on human error and helps ensure your records are accurate and ready.
Cloud-based so you can access from anywhere on any device
Automate administrative/accounting tasks
Automatically send and track invoices
Get paid online
Automatically track expenses
Manage cashflow in real-time
- Free 30-day trial
- Sage Accounting Start Plan: $10 per month. Includes:
- Create and send invoices
- Track accounts receivable
- Automatic bank reconciliation
- Sage Accounting Plan: $7.50 per month. Includes:
- Automatically snap and post receipts; free for 3 months3
- Supports unlimited users
- Send quotes and estimates
- Forecast cash flow
- Manage purchase invoices
11. Best for tool tracking: ShareMyToolbox
ShareMyToolbox allows you to keep track of the tools you have on any job site. This simple app works from any smartphone - iOS or Android - and helps make your field crew accountable for the tools they use.
This cuts down on your annual company spend for small and large tools, and also helps you keep track of maintenance needs for each tool. It’s an easy app for construction workers to use.
Available on Android or iOS
Automatic tool inventory
Easier valuation and insurance reports
Notifications of equipment services due
Always know who has which tool(s)
Easily transfer idle tools between worksites
Shift tool responsibility to the field
Track mobile tools
- Free 14-day trial
- Base System Plan - $65 per month
- Additional Users - $50 per month for 5 Additional Users
12. Best for fleet tracking: Fleetio
Automating fleet management is a time- and cost-saver for any firm with multiple vehicles and heavy equipment. Fleetio is a highly-rated fleet management program that helps you track all fleet data in real-time and makes maintaining your equipment easier.
Asset Profiles & VIN Lookup
Fleetio Go Mobile App
Essential Maintenance Management
Inspections & Issues
Driver & Vendor Management
Dashboards & Reporting
TCO & Lifecycle Management
Integrations & API
Equipment Management (Add-on, Included in trial)
- Free 14-day trial
- Pro Plan: $5 per vehicle/month
- Advanced: $7 per vehicle/month
Save Time and Money with ClockShark
Adopting technology doesn’t have to be intimidating. You can start by evaluating your current processes and determine the best place to start, so you can continue to grow your business, and adopt more technology as you grow.